Sunday Run Day/Sunday Fun Day!

What a great weekend! My work buddy came to visit from the Northern reaches of Alberta to visit the city life of Calgary. I got the privilege of showing her around Calgary - Kyla style! We went to Over Easy for breakfast! I love that place... Then, we went to the Farmer's Market where I bought beets, blackberries, almond butter and chorizo sausages. Then, to conclude our tour, I made a stop at Lazy Loaf - they have the best Ginger Cream cookies. I somehow managed to practice self control and didn't buy one, but geezus did I ever want to! Yes, all food.... and really, it shouldn't come as a surprise! Then, I got to have a fantastic visit with my BFF. We went to The Coup for dinner and some delicious coconut chai! So good. Then, today - I got to see her again! It's so handy that she lives down the street.  

After all of my socializing - I had to do my long run (blah). It was really hard today and I am sure I looked miserable today. I ate too close to run time and my stomach was not happy. Around about 45 minutes, it let up a bit. Side note: When you're running on the paths around the river/downtown Calgary - you see weird things including women's underwear, men's underwear, a purple latex glove, among other things. Those were the notables for today. After my run, I went to yoga so that I could walk tomorrow. I feel pretty ok right now, even if a bit tired. I'm off to Fort McMurray for the week again.... Don't be too jealous. I'll try and get some pictures of my camp meals this week!

OK - so the creation for the weekend - inspired by the beet salad I've been eating from Community Natural Foods.

Beet & Blood Orange Salad
Red beets (I think I had about 8 - 9 small ones)
2 blood oranges (regular old navel oranges or mandarin oranges would work)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
salt & pepper
1/4 cup walnut pieces
Salad greens such as spring mix
soft goat cheese
**these are all estimates. I didn't really measure.

Peels your beets, so that your hands look like this:


Once they are peeled, cube them up, drizzle then with olive oil and throw them in the oven. Cook them for about 1 hour at 375-400F until they are soft. 

While your beets are cooking, peel your oranges and make sure you get ride of the white bits.

Once your beets are done cooking, let them cool to room temperature. Put them in a bowl, add your oranges, walnuts.

In a separate bowl - whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper. Pour over your beets and oranges and stir. (I think this would have been a touch better if I had some orange juice or squeezed some orange juice over it). Let the salad sit so it tastes more delicious. 

Put some greens on a plate. Spoon your beet salad on top and then crumble your goat cheese over it. Eat it and be really happy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Foodie Penpal

Weekend Update!

Black Bean Brownies.... At Last!