What a Weekend!

Seriously, what a crazy weekend I had - much of it in a good way.... but the catalyst for it all perhaps wasn't the best.


First things first - my 21 Day Detox went right out the window. :( I am a bit disappointed with myself, but I can do it again another time. I had a weekend of endless eating. It started on Friday (It is Easter weekend, my dad's anniversary and another funeral this weekend) and only just wrapped up today - Easter Monday.


My Uncle lost his brother last Sunday. It was sudden and very unexpected. Apart from being brothers - they were business partners, friends and neighbors. They farmed together their whole lives, lived a 2 minute walk from each other, they raised cattle and kids, looked to one another for advice and support and of course, spent a lot of hours having fun and probably sharing a few stories not meant for us. My Aunt, Uncle and cousins have been one of my strongest support networks over this past year, and my heart was hurting for them all week. Reynie left behind 2 daughters, Pam & Karen - Pam is pregnant and a he also left behind his wife, Barbara. I hurt for all of them so badly - it was only a year ago when their shoes were on my feet and I was immersed in funeral planning and executor duties with my sisters. It was a rather raw feeling, but regardless - so glad that I was able to be there this weekend. I feel privileged to be a part of such a warm, loving and supportive group of people and even met a couple kick ass girls who live in my neighborhood! Hoping I get to cross paths with them again!


So, recap of my Easter weekend:
Friday: Lunch with Kendra, baking to de-stress and then Andi & Ceara took me out for sushi and we had such an amazing visit. I have the best friends, seriously.
Saturday: Brunch with my dad's long time friend Bill & lovely wife Natalie. They fed me cheese and fresh bread until I felt like bursting. They have the most beautiful home & they are, whether they like it or not, family to me. Then, off to spend time at the farm where the endless eating started along with hugs, laughter, tears and the whole range of emotions that come with the complicated journey of loss.
Sunday: Eating, eating, eating at the farm. 
Monday: Reynie's funeral was today. It was such a nice service. I was so proud of Pam & Karen for delivering their dad's eulogy. And, I was so proud of my cousin Kirby for reading the tribute her dad wrote to Reynie. Bryden put tons of work into the slideshow picture presentation they played and it all came together wonderfully. My Aunt cooked a huge batch of chili the fed many mouths today and we all shared many hugs. It was, a sad day, but a nice day. 
I made it home and took tomorrow off to recoup and decompress. It was a hard weekend. I really missed having my sisters around for it. 


These were a hit this weekend!


Peppermint Patties
2 cups of icing sugar
2 tsp peppermint extract
1.5 tbsp margarine or butter
2 tbsp cream
8 oz chocolate
1.5 tbsp shortening, or oil.


Cream together the icing sugar, extract, 1.5 tbsp margarine and cream. Put some parchment paper or wax paper onto a cookie sheet. Spoon peppermint/sugar mixture onto the sheet. Flatten slightly with the back of a spoon. Put them in the freezer to harden.


In a saucepan, melt the chocolate and add your oil/shortening (I tried using butter or margarine, doesn't work well). Dip the hardened peppermint/sugar discs into the chocolate using 2 spoons (or whatever your tool of choice is). Place onto the cookie sheet once dipped and then put into the freezer to harder.


I went through 3 batches of these! Make them, you won't be sorry... I didn't even get a picture they went so quick!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Foodie Penpal

Weekend Update!

Black Bean Brownies.... At Last!