Holy Hell!

Happy Weekend! Weekends are never long enough! NEVER. I like to sometimes think about what I'd do if I didn't have a job to go to and endless amounts of money. I think I'd travel and cook and workout and volunteer for something that I am passionate about. A girl can dream. I'd also sleep in a lot, and have a really awesome kitchen and all the accessories - like a donut pan and a bundt cake pan and silcone muffin tins. I want all but am too cheap to buy them right now. PS. Can you believe that I have to go spend money on a vacuum!? F*CK. Anyway, It was a great weekend minus the boring class I took on Saturday. Part 2 of boring class is next Saturday. I'll be glad when this little educational stretch is over! I'll be starting another one come January - the fun never ends! ha.

My current goal is to try somewhere new every time I go out to eat. It isn't hard these days in Calgary with all sorts of new places popping up everywhere and well, I live conveniently close to feed this goal. It's awesome! This weekend I was able to try 2 new places!

New places this weekend included:

80th & Ivy - Michelle and I went on Friday night. We sat in the dining room area which was quite nice. The kitchen is really open. The service was fantastic and the food was really good. We had Prawn Rolls, Mussell and Flat Bread to share. The server was probably one of the best servers I've had in a long time! He was there enough to give great service but not enough to interrupt us. I'd go back. Next time though - I'm having wine! And next time, Michelle will have a baby boy! SO COOL.
Monki Breakfast Club & Bistro - Faye and I went this morning. It was ok.... I am totally bias to breakfast because I already have a couple favorites. I had a Sausage and Brisket Hash. It wasn't too bad but doesn't compare to the hash I had at the Blue Star Diner. Faye had a Breakfast Sundae with granola. They told her it was gluten-free... It wasn't! She was sick after - no good! I'm medium about this place. I won't be in a rush to go back! Next time Faye and I have a date, she'll probably have her little girl in tow. (I told both her and Michelle to wait on their deliveries so we could have our dates! I'm selfish, what can I say!? ha)

In other news - I made some awesome things to eat this weekend! I wish I could take credit for all of them, but I can't!
1) Pumpkin Chili with Avocado Cream - HOLY HELL. This is was GOOD. The avocado cream was like candy. Seriously, so good! I halved the recipe. But really, make it for yourself. I didn't post it here because for once, I actually followed a recipe. 
2) Chicken Thai Pizza - This was a combination of inspiration from various places. I made a gluten free crust. Then, made this really awesome Sunshine Sauce. This sauce was TOO good. I made it again today for my lunches this week. The only modification I made on the sauce was using Coconut Spread instead of Coconut Aminos. The first batch, I used carton coconut milk but it turned out better today using full fat canned coconut milk. MAKE THIS. So, now to toppings - chicken breast, grated carrots, bean sprouts, green onions and cilantro. Andi helped me eat this and gave it rave reviews! YAY SUCCESS.
3) Asian Pork Meatballs - sadly again... I didn't measure things  or take pictures because they didn't look delicious (but I'm sure they will be) If you want to make them.... Here you go:
Ground Pork
A little bit of coconut flour (almond probably is better or use all purpose)
Egg
Green Onions

Cilantro
Sesame Oil

Make them into balls, then bake them in the oven at 350 until done. I hope they are good! The beauty of cooking for 1 is that if it doesn't turn out, you still eat it and no one complains. As if I'd complain about my own cooking.
4) Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies - this is the base of my go to Oatmeal Cookie Recipe. The base can stay the same and you can add whatever you like. The original asks for cherries, sliced almonds and chocolate chips. Today, I decided butterscotch was the way to go! I don't even know where the heck I got this original recipe but I've used it for a few years now.
Sift:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon (depending on your preference)
Beat together, with an electric mixer:
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp butter (or margarine is fine)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg

1/2 tsp almond extract (didn't use it today because didn't think it'd go with butterscotch)
1/2 tsp vanilla (ran out, so didn't use it)
Stir in the sifted ingredients to the beaten ones, then stir in:
1 cup oatmeal
1 - 11/2 cup butterscotch chips

Then, bake them at 325 for about 12 - 15 minutes. I didn't try one, they looked good though! I'll see how the work peeps like them tomorrow. 

Have a Happy Monday Everyone!!! 

Who doesn't like cookies!? 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Foodie Penpal

Weekend Update!

Black Bean Brownies.... At Last!