I'll tell you why September rocks!

Happy September Everyone! September is an awesome month. I'll tell you why... It's my birthday month (I take presents). I'm celerbrating my last birthday of my 20's (GASP!). It's fall, my most favorite season ever. I am starting a new job. Big things are happening! So, in preparation for this big month, I celebrated by eating out a million times this weekend with various friends, and made a million creations in my kitchen that I have been neglecting for the last few months. I also joined a new gym and got my a$$ completely handed to me on both Saturday and on Monday. UGH - but let's not kid ourselves, I do LOVE it. OH, and the other thing that happened - I got Netflix, watched a million episodes of Breaking Bad and have decided that between cooking/baking in my kitchen while watching Netflix, I may never have to leave the house again. Perfect timing since the shittiest season ever is going to be settling in before long....in case you're confused - I'm referring to winter. But to be fair - I plan on leaving my condo more this winter and getting my ski on!

Before I talk about my food creations this weekend, I want to talk about this new job thing. Ok, first off - HOLY SH*T...I got a NEW JOB. I am leaving the company I've been at after almost 3 years. It's been a great experience! I've met many fantastic people who I hope to keep around for the next many years of my life. It was exactly the job I dreamed of getting at one point in my career. I wanted to work for a big, corporate company and work in downtown Calgary and well, downtown Calgary generally means Oil and Gas...so yup, got my oil and gas, downtown, corporate Calgary jobola! YAY ME. I got some sweet work experience, got to even travel a bit for it which was sort of cool for a while, and even tried out the camp life in Northern Alberta which was also a good experience. I've learned a sh*t ton about myself while I've been here - both personally and professionally. In terms of personal and professional development - I'd say this is where I've had one of my first (of many more to come) serious growth spurts. I'll always value this experience and who knows, maybe I'll be back! The manager did say, "I didn't say good riddance." So, maybe I'll be crawling back if the new experience doesn't pan out!? Now, the new job - so far, leaving me with a fantastic first impression! It's a smaller company and I'll be taking on more diverse responsibilities which is exactly what I need to develop my career in Human Resources. I've gotten a "Welcome" email from all of my teammates (ok, whatever so what it's a tiny team) which makes me feel extra welcome and I am starting on my 29th Birthday. Good sign, right!? Am I nervous? Hell yes. But really, I am more excited for what is ahead. It's a new chapter of my so far, very lucky life! Work seems to be one of those areas where it always, always works out as it should. Even when sh*t hits the fan, it always works out. This too will work out! :)

So, on the list of creations this weekend:
Banana Chocolate Chip Date Bread
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yam, Butternut Squash & Lentil Soup
Sundried tomato, Spinach & Mushroom Mini Pork Loaves
Chili (minus the legumes)
Cilantro & Sunflower Seed & Chili Pesto


I'll share the soup recipe because I can remember it. I got it out of a Community Cookbook that I bought last year. Well actually, it was inspired by 2 recipes that I sort of mashed together.

Yam, Butternut Squash & Lentil Curried Soup
1 small yam, peeled and cubed
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 cup red lentils
1 yellow onion, diced
approximately 3 cloves garlic, minced (I always buy pre minced...which just reminds me that's stupid because I have a kick a$$ garlic press)
2 stalks celery, diced

2 carrots, diced
2 - 3 tbsp curry powder (or more, you decide what you like, or maybe you hate it..then don't add it)
2 - 4 cups of vegetable stock/water (I didn't measure, sorry... just eyeballed it)
salt
pepper

Heat a pan or pot, throw in your onion, celery & garlic. Cook down until the onion is clear. Then add in your squash, carrots, and yam. Add the stock, & curry powder. Then add your red lentils, salt and pepper. Bring it all to a boil and then let it simmer until all of the vegetables are nice and soft. Leave it chunky if you like or throw it into your food processor (which holy hell I LOVE) and blend it into a nice smooth conncotion.

So, I found that the squash really took over the flavors so there was probably good reason why one recipe didn't use the squash...and one did. Depends what you like! I added lentils for protein and because they were laying around in my cupboard. And because well, I was actually asked to make some meals for the Mom - To - Be (OMGSOON) Jessie! She will be busy with baby boy so little time for eating and creating delicious food! Can you believe she didn't want presents, this is what she wanted!? Crazy girl. I loved it. Feeding people makes me so incredibly happy. FOR SERIOUS. Now, I think I'll do this for all the new moms in my life! :)

Quarterly brunch this weekend - stay tuned. I am sure the girls will blow us all away AGAIN, as always! I'm also going golfing this weekend! Coach aka Grandpa will be pleased to hear it! I owe him a status report. :) Oh and I have to pick up my new cookbook, I can't wait for my after work reading! It'll be a nice treat after my workout that will probably rape me again. (Did I mention my jeans aren't fitting my legs as comfortably lately!? :S DAMN strength training. But I also won't quit, just have to wear stretchy pants and dresses.)

I'll leave you all with a link to some fun facts about September!
http://webclipart.about.com/od/seasonsclipart/ss/Interesting-Facts-About-September.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Foodie Penpal

Weekend Update!

Feelin' Festive